The Old Lisbon Walk
We will take you off the beaten track to visit the neighborhoods of old Lisbon, including two spectacular look-outs and the vibrant flea market.
- Learn about the civilizations that occupied the territory of Portugal over the years, from pre-historic settlers to Romans and Moors.
- In the ultra modern Martim Moniz Square, learn about the origins of Portugal and the conquest of Lisbon from the Moors in 1147.
- Hear the tale of Martim Moniz, the hero of the Portuguese siege in Lisbon.
- Find out about one of Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhoods, the multicultural Mouraria.
- Be one of the privileged few to discover the breathtaking beauty of Lisbon as seen from the hidden Viewpoint of Nossa Senhora do Monte.
- Learn the secret of Saint Gen’s Chair, a Roman marble chair that is kept in the beautiful little Chapel of Our Lady of the Hill.
- Admire Portugal’s National Pantheon and the beautiful St.Vincent Church, and take a look at the Feira da Ladra, Lisbon’s massive flea market.
- Go back in time more than a thousand years, as you wander through the Moorish quarter of Alfama, Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhood.
- Visit the old Castle Citadel and imagine being there in 1147, as the Portuguese and their allies took the city from the Moors. If Lisbon is still home to ghosts, this is where you may find them.
- Take a look at the ruins of a Roman Theatre still being excavated and visit the Roman Theatre Museum next door for a glimpse into Lisbon’s glorious past as a great Roman City.
- As you finish your Old Lisbon tour in Campo das Cebolas, admire the unusual Casa dos Bicos, one of only three buildings of its kind in Europe.
Read our GUESTBOOK and check what other people have to say about our walks HERE!
Meeting Point: Square D. Pedro IV (Rossio) at the statue in the center of the square.
- April to October - Tue / Sat - 10am
- November to March - Sat - 10am *
* Reservation needed in low season; minimum 2 people
- Free ride on the old Tram
- Pastel de Nata - Custard Tart
- Free Insider Tips Guide to discover Lisbon
|*For under 26 years old, Lisboa Card, 2nd tour|